Monday, November 26, 2007

Secon Pos: Their Eyes Were Watching- Zora N. Hurston

As i was reading i began to wonder bout the title of the book. I guess that everybody is watching Janie in the book. Everybody is wondering waht she is going to do next. She isnt explained to be the most beautiful girl in the world but everybody is so taken by her. Its also hard to get the meaning out of the book so far. I wonder what the author is trying to prove and I almost turned to the last pages of the book to see if I could derive anything from it. I stopped myself and decided to wait, but realized I really liked what i was reading so far. I questioned the meaning and figured it must have something to do with Janie being light skinned, like some of other books have related to-- Passing and Autobi0.- Whatever the case this book is really enjoyable. I have gotten past the dialect pretty good now, I have done an analysis but assume that it has lightened a bit? After Jody passed maybe Teacake has Janie speaking in a lighter tongue? I dont know maybe its just me getting used to the dialect and processing it alot of faster, but im not really even noticing it much.

The book has done a good job in bringing about emotion. Ups and downs. it was a feel good story about the mule bought. it was like a man buying another man out of slavery and letting him relax after so many years of hard work and torment-it was symbolic of this to me.
but As Janie and Jodys relationship fizzled and came to an end I really started to feel bad. I also felt before as Jody contiually mocked Janie and apparently lost his appreciation for her. Its a common thing though, for someone to take out whats wrong with them on someone else. Jody was getting fat and dying.... or melting away, detoriating whatever you want to call it, so he took out his fears about himself on Janie--trying to make it sound like she was no longer a Spring Chicken when in fact it was him who was the one aging faster. He was trying to cover up his thoughts and feelings about himself by taking it out on her... This was sad to read about. It got sadder when Joe and Janie lost their realtionship and pretty much stopped talking towards the end of his life. I guess he was embarassed with himself and felt bad about he treated her.--some people just cant swollow their pride and apologize. He was dying from physical ailments and this process was sped up by his inner turmoil.

As Janie moved on kind of quickly it was apparent she was at peace with Joes death. She wasnt dissatified with her life though up to taht point- Joe had made her a wealthy woman and taught her many life lessons. Joe had also saved her from her first husband who had her all chained up. She needed the relationship with Joe to come out and grow . Her identity was able to come through after his passing and this identity was shaped by her past.

When teacake came into the picture I wasnt surprised, because this was foreshadowed in the ebigning of the book. I was surprised at the relationship Janie was able to develop with him. Did she really find a true love? I wonder about this as i continue on reeading, although it is definetly the best of her relationships so far. She is having fun and is allowed her own space. She is allowed to be herself and to do as she chooses, you must respect teacake for giving her this and not being too controlling. I have to wonder as goes her past relationships whether this one who fade as well. For now it appeears pretty good though--besides the fact that Teacake is such a gambler and stole the money from Janie that one time. I wonder how he could do such a thing and wonder if he was honest bout the story... DId he just go out and gamble it away? Or did he really throw a fried chicken party? Janie is love struck and believes anything this guy will say. it doesnt go into detail about the look in his eyes or whether she contemplated his words as truthful--it jus says she takes it for what it is. She is enthralled with teacake and having a good time.. She doesnt think hes out to take her for everything and the author leads the reader to believe this as well--with a bit of suscipion though. I bet Hurston could drop a surprise, you cant put it past her.

6 comments:

ashley said...

I too am having a hard time coming up with the meaning of Their Eyes Were Watching God. Maybe there’s more than one message that Hurston wants her readers to grasp. I only suggest this because there seems to be a lot of themes within the book; gender roles, identity, dreams, generations, female sexuality, materialistic values vs. emotional values, etc. I'm curious to hear what everyone else has to say about the reading.

ashton e. said...

I have no idea what the title of this novel was supposed to mean. I liked your idea of everyone is constently watching Janie. It makes sense if Hurston is trying ot make a reference to the scrutiny placed on her main charactor

ashton e. said...

I have no idea what the title of this novel was supposed to mean. I liked your idea of everyone is constently watching Janie. It makes sense if Hurston is trying ot make a reference to the scrutiny placed on her main charactor

Annie said...

Interesting, I've never really stoped to think about the tittle of the book. Now that I do, I do wonder what it referres to. Maybe it's a comment about African Americans in general or people of the south? Sort of the way Janie's grandmaother is portrayed as looking to God to provide for their saftey and security. Even through the ups and downs of life.

Alyssa Thomas said...

I have no idea what the title could mean either. It really doesn't seem to fit the book so far, but hopefully by the end we will find our answer. You have a good idea though about how it could be about everyone constantly watching Janie.

sarah's place said...

I have no idea what the title of this book is suppose to mean. I did find your idea interesting though of how all eyes are on Janie which they are. In the end I bet we will find out the real meaning behind the title.