Monday, October 29, 2007

Passing Brownies

The last part of Passing could be expected I guess. I felt that something might happen to Clare the entire book to cover the element of irony. The author did a good job in many senses by leaving much for the reader to mull over. I was left wondering a few different things, I myself dont like to assume things, I kind of let the mystery just stay the way it is in my head. I wonder if the author even knows exactly what they are trying to hide. Do you think that when an author leaves things up for the reader to decide... does this author have a clear of idea of what they had happend in their head? I mean does the author of Passing wantt us to believe that Clare and Irenes husband Brian had an affair? Does she want us to think that the Irene killed Clare? I dont know about this. I am wondering about Clare and Brian more than I do about if Irene killed Clare. I find it interesting that Brian didnt care much for Clare at first... didnt even want her to go the Ball and than was suddenly having dinner with her alone. This bothered me a bit. If it bothered Irene about Clare than she should have cut it off, told her husband to stay away from her. Period. Its hard to understand Clare and Irene's relationship... the big question we debated in class over. Irene obviously cannot stick up for herself. Clare obviously cant shake her devilish side. In the end if i were to make an honest guess i would have to blame the husband who called her "Nig" for Clares death. I think he simply startled her and she fell, Irene was a putting a protective hand on her, and accidentally gave her a push when she was startled and off balance. And i think that Clares husband knew about her having black in her, he just never had it admitted to him and thats why he messed with it. Im sticking with that despite his alleged surprise of finding out. He maybe wa smore surprised that he actually did find out for sure, froma firends mouth than not knowing at all.

In the Brownies Readings I find it good that there was a childrens publication for African Americans. TOo bad this publication was only for african americans. I understand that the black youth needed someting positive to look at, but why not give something that blacks and whites could relate to. I know that is too good to be true for the time period, i guess i would just have to live than to understand how things were different. I have trouble sometimes believing that absolutely no one would give africans americans a chance back than. I mean their had to be somebody that thought about this before the harlem renassiance? Maybe not and i am not thinking realistically for the time period. I just get a bit carried away. Its the same way i Fell about BET tv and black history month. Do white people have a white history month or a White entertainment channel? No they dont, but some would argue that is because every other month and channel are for whites. WHen i look at it that way i understand, i just think that BET should have some white people too, intergration. Is there an all black college down south? Grambling? Brown? I dont know if white people can go here, but from my point of view there should be integration on these fronts as well. Getting back to the Brownies Magazine... I liked ost of the material although some of the stuff was hard to grasp. I guess they were promoting the uplift of blacks, and starting at the bottom with the children was the best way to instill the proper values and implants of positive esteem. My favorite story out of all of the poems and stories was the one with Dolly. I think this story can be read by anybody of any color and teach a good moral lesson. It teaches children to proud of what they are and to be careful what they wish for... A real life example of Dolly is Michael Jackson... except he wasnt dreaming!

2 comments:

Angie said...

I like what you said about the Brownie’s book. You’re right, why not make it a publication for both black and white youth. That would be one way to begin stopping the separation of the races. And, many of the stories either a white child or a black child could relate too. This would also teach children from the beginning that you should be proud of whom you are no matter your race or color and you should love one another because we are all human not to love because of your color.

Jackie said...

I like what you've said about the Brownies reading that we did. I really enjoyed this to. Maybe it's because of the fact that I was to be a teacher so I like things that are directed towards children. I thought it was great that people were trying to reach out to these African American children and help them understand things that they were missing in school. It's ashame this magazine didn't last longer. I really wonder why it only lasted a year. One would think people would really enjoy it, both parents and children. It really does teach children to be proud of who they are. I liked your comparison of Dolly and Michael Jackson. Good connection. Enjoyable to read.